Thursday, October 17, 2013

Decisions

I have a lot of decision to make. I have no doubt that I want to be a Mom, I'm just not sure the route I should take.

The options I am considering:

Foster to adopt
International Adoption (waiting child)
Use donor sperm and try for a biological child


Foster to adopt - there are many positives and negatives to this option.

International Adoption - I have always wanted to adopt internationaly and am drawn to adopting one of the many waiting children. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I could afford the fees associated with international adoption AND the time I would have to be out of the country (not working/collecting a paycheck). Possible at some point, but probably not right now.

Use donor sperm - This is the way I am leaning right now. At my age I will be lucky to get pregnant, if I put it off any longer I may not have the option. My family has a long history of endometriosis and other issues that have caused them to have to have hysterectomies at an early age (most of them in their early 30's).


I've talked to my doctor and she recommended a fertility specialist, although she does not see any reason why I can't get pregnant. In my area there are not many options for doctors who perform IUI's/IVF so if I were to go to the specialist it would be at least an hours drive each way to the office. I called around and found a OB/GYN office that will do IUI's locally. It costs about the same for each office so I'm not sure which one I will choose. The local office is also on call for weekends in case I need to go in outside of typical office hours. Just the thought of going to a "specialist" scares me. How do I choose which one to go to??

1 comment:

  1. I am one of the very few SMCs (at least that I have come across) that used a donor and had the IUI done in the OBGYN office. I never saw a specialist, in fact, I saved a ton of money and time by not having any of the blood work or screening ultrasounds (other than my normal annual checkup). All three of my IUIs were based solely on my peeing on an ovulation predictor stick at home. My OBGYN did open the office for me one time when I needed the IUI on a Sunday. Whatever you decide to go with, just make sure you are comfortable with the process that you are going to be using. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete